How Well Do You Know
Your House Plants?
Have you ever despaired over crispy ivy? Or wondered what it takes to get a cactus to bloom?
Houseplants can seem like a mystery if you don't know how to care for them.
With information now at your fingertips, it's easy to find out about your plant, discover what it needs, and get the most out of it. I promise you'll be rewarded with a healthy, thriving houseplant that's a source of pride and joy for years to come.
Everything you need is here in this user-friendly house plant guide:
- Look up your plant in the Encyclopedia A-Z and find out how to care for it.
- Suggestions for easy house plants -- including 10 House Plants You Can't Kill.
- Check out pests and diseases and find out what to do about spider mites, fungus, aphids and other things that are bugging your houseplants.
- Take a look at this list of poisonous plants and keep your family and pets safe.
- Bring the beauty of the tropics to you with these tropical house plants.
Green Your Home
You already know that plants take in the carbon dioxide we exhale and give off oxygen we breathe in.
But did you know...house plants can also clean the air? Many species remove air pollutants commonly found in homes caused by the chemicals in furniture, paint, and carpeting.
Kind of gives you new respect for your foliage friends, huh?
Hmmm...if only we could get them to clean the house too.
Mother's Day is May 13, 2018
Give Mom a lasting reminder of your love with a flowering house plant.
You'll brighten her days and warm her heart with a living bouquet you chose just for her.
She's sure to love Cattleya orchids. Those big, ruffled flowers have long been a popular Mother's Day corsage flower.
Petite miniature roses can be planted outdoors and enjoyed year after year. Delightfully fragrant gardenias will bloom for months, given enough light.
And for something tropical, consider a lipstick plant -- a lush, trailing plant with spectacular blooms.
Take Indoor Plants to New Heights
Put them on a pedestal. Indoor plantstands are a simple solution for displaying several small plants together. With a multi-level stand, you can easily transform a jungle into an eye-catching arrangement.
Hang 'em high. Pot them up in indoor plant hangers and they'll be at eye level for all to admire.
Drive them up a wall. Vertical gardens are perhaps the newest trend in indoor gardening. Check out these planters that make hanging them a breeze.
Did you know that office plants are good for you?
Okay, they won't bring your coffee, but they will boost your mood and create an instant garden ambience right there on your desk. Many of them even clean the air.
Check these out. It's never been easier to find a few good candidates to share your office space.
3 Things to Do Now
- Repot. Spring is the best time to repot because most plants are starting their most vigorous time of growth. If roots are growing out of the container's drainage holes, give them a bit more space.
Follow these steps for repotting house plants.
- Tidy up. Cut off any dead leaves or flowers. Clean dust off leaves to give plants the light they need for photosynthesis.
- Feed your plant. Increased daylight will make indoor plants grow faster. If you stopped fertilizing your
plants for the winter, it's time to start again.
Here's what others are saying about Guide-to-Houseplants.com!
"Your website is brilliant! I constantly refer to your site...your hard work is much appreciated!"
"This is the BEST website I have come across. Thank you for all the help and information!"
"It's fun to browse around, learn about different plants, and think, 'Oh, I've gotta try that one!' You've turned my interest into a passion."
Stay Up to Date
Guide-to-Houseplants.com is all about getting to know your indoor plants so you can bring out their best.
My hope is that it will give you an easy-to-use resource -- a place to turn when you need quick solutions, helpful how-tos, and maybe inspiration to grow something new.
Pages and tips are added all the time. Subscribe to my blog and you'll always be the first to know about new features, articles and updates.
Enjoy your visit!